Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Changes

Source - photography.2eyepickle.com

When I was filling in my first ever resume, I had written this particular sentence in the Strengths section, "I am not afraid to ask questions or seek for assistance". Throughout the 3 jobs I had, my number one rule was to not make mistakes. I am not much of a risk taker and nor do I want to get into trouble for not checking with a senior in the first place. So I asked whenever I was unsure about things.

But in the midst of it all, I was beginning to wonder if I was having too many queries and not using my God given tools enough to think of an answer. I wondered if my seniors were thinking I wasn't using my head enough at work, and I'd usually take the easy road by asking for help.

So I tried a different approach. I tried to think outside the box. I tried to think of logical explanations and reasons. I put myself in another person's shoes and tried to envision what my reaction would be with the solutions given. This one time, I drove myself nuts trying to come up with an answer as to why my boss had a way of calculating an amount (I took 2 days to figure it out). 

And at the end of it, I was pleased that I found an answer all by myself. 

My point is, it doesn't hurt to think. If the positions were reversed and I was a senior, I would want my co-workers to demonstrate their thinking and problem solving capabilities first before I add in my own two cents.

But whenever I hit a dead end and have no whatsoever clue, I tell myself it is okay to ask for help. No matter how dumb a question is. From there, I'd remind myself I am a tad more knowledgeable after asking a question. 

I have pretty much adopted a thick skin after my last job. So what if people make fun of me because I made a fool out of myself? So what if I get yelled at or being called names because I ask dumb questions? So what if they start talking and laughing behind my back?

I'd tell myself to do the mature thing and hold my head up high.

0 Note(s):